DEC 07-Sep-16
C G 07-Sep-16
No Mercy 08-Sep-16
Charlie Rehor 09-Sep-16
tacklebox 16-Sep-16
Knife2sharp 20-Sep-16

By: MK111
Date:25-Mar-16

I've been wanting a memory card reader for reviewing my cam pictures. I'm running 5 cameras on my farm, mainly on the food plots trying to figure out future plantings. I did research on several readers and bought a Moultrie Picture reader. It does have a rather small 2.8" viewing screen. But the main reason is I wanted the ability to copy a picture from one card to another card. That way I can copy all the good keeper pictures on one memory card. In the past I had a nightmare trying to find my good pictures. I'm getting a good picture frame reader that I can display my good pictures. Looking for a 12-15" screen with rechargeable battery. I do gunshow setups as a dealer and have a lot of friends that want to see my deer hunting progress.

I'm sure there are other reader out there that can copy to a 2nd card but for the 49.00 I paid with free shipping I'm quite pleased. I'll update this review when I have more experience using it.

Date:26-Mar-16

It sounds like you got the smaller Moultrie one. The one with the larger screen is the one I have and have been using it for 3 years now. My buddy and I run 8-12 cameras, multiple makes and models, and I like that it creates a separate folder for each card on the parent card. This reader also has zoom and you can move the image around when zoomed in.

The display is a bit on the dark side, and unfortunately, when you have multiple folders there's no way of going to a particular one for viewing. You either start at the most recent or the oldest. So I use a parent SD card with the micro card, then I can view the card with a tablet or phone. But having the parent card makes downloading on my PC much easier.

By: Kurt
Date:26-Mar-16

They have a small reader that plugs into your iPhone. If you have a phone I bet they would work fine, although I've never used one.

I've always used my little Sony digital camera to look at photos in the field. It has a fairly small screen and isn't as easy to enlarge photos on as the phone would be though.

Date:29-Mar-16
Mad_Angler's Supporting Link

Kurt, I have the same reader for my android. The android one is only a few dollars. I love sitting in my stand and checking the pictures from the trail camera nearby.

Here is an amazon link:

By: DanaC

Or you can just carry a pocket camera. Switch out the card and use the camera screen to view your pix.

x2 What DanaC said. Cards are cheap these days, number them, and the camera, 2 per camera. Do a quick switch and get out of there. Look at the pictures at home on the desktop or laptop, while having coffee or a beer.

By: MK111

I bought this model of card reader so I can take a card clean off the unwanted pictures on my laptop computer. Then I take the card with only the important pictures and copy them with the reader to a 2nd master card. This way I have a master card with all my saved pictures I can use in a picture frame display reader. I'm liking the new system better every day.

By: Tndeer
Tndeer's Supporting Link

how about using your phone?

No Mercy's embedded Photo

Stealth can makes one too. Works great!

By: DEC
Date:07-Sep-16
DEC's Supporting Link

I have struggled with a viewer as well. My android phone and tablets do not seem to like many of the micro USB card readers. So a couple of weeks ago I ordered a RAVPower File Hub 5in1 device off of Amazon for $32. The RAVPower is about the size of a cell phone and when you turn it on it creates it's own wifi network. You slide the SD card into the RAVPower. With your phone wifi turned on it will recognize the wifi network. You open the RAVPower app (they have both Android and iPhone versions) on your phone and you can then view all of the photos on the SD card right there in the field. You can delete any photos you don't want, zoom in and out, and even wirelessly transfer them to your smart phone. It is pretty slick!

The device also doubles as a phone charger. It also reads thumb drives, and you can actually use it as a network hub to wirelessly transfer files from say a smart phone to a tablet.

I am telling you guys, this thing is awesome for field viewing and managing trail camera images and videos.

At the top of this post is a link to where I bought it.

NoMercy- I just bought the one in your photo a few weeks back.

I had to take a dremmel to my Otter Box so that I could just plug it in to the connection without having to take the case off all the time.

It works great, I scan through the images, save the few I want, and delete the rest all at once.

Worth the few bucks it cost for sure!

By: C G

DEC- That looks like it could be the ticket, thanks for posting. Just to confirm what you are saying, The RavPower unit functions as its own WiFi network, so you can grab a card on the way to your treestand and look at pics from the stand on phone or tablet?

DEC, I was reading reviews and saw one that says battery life isn't that great. I'd be curious to know how fast the transfer rate is too.

I have some cameras that are left out for a few months and may have several hundred to a thousand photos. With my Moultrie card reader I can transfer them to the subscriber and delete them on the publisher, which can about 10 minutes for 1,000 photos. The transfer rate depends on the size of each photo, the higher resolution daytime photos take a little longer than the lower resolution night photos. This is why I like to set my cameras in 3-5 mega pixel range. Anything higher is just overkill.

But the batteries on my card reader will last a couple months of pretty intense use and it takes just 4AAs, which I can carry an extra set with me.

But that RAVPower looks like a neat device for transferring files when not in the field. And since my company locked down our USB ports for flash drives, I may be able to transfer photos to a micro USB on my phone, which I can then put in my laptop.

I have the Apple SD card reader. Very easy and a great product. It will even clear SD card after the down load. Almost fool-proof. The only issue...it will not allow you to view video in the field. It will download the video and can be viewed on a computer (so it is a storage device for trail camera video). You have to plug your IPhone into Computer and download the videos to computer. Hope that makes sense.

By: DEC

C G - Yes, you could grab the SD card on your way to the tree stand. Put it in the RavPower unit, throw the unit in your coat pocket, climb in the tree, fire up your smart phone (or tablet) wifi then the app, and view/delete/copy/etc while you sit in the stand. Then put the card back in your camera on your walk back out.

Knife2sharp - 1) the RavPower battery is rechargeable, just like your phone. Just plug it in when you get home like you would your cell phone. I haven't owned mine long enough to test the battery life. 2) Like you said, the transfer time will be dependent on the size of the photo files (i.e. Megapixel setting in your camera), also the processor in your phone/tablet effects this as well. But the other day I transferred almost 700 photos (5Mpix) to my almost 2 year old Droid Turbo, in a total transfer time of just over 5 minutes (I watched the clock because I was curious of this too). The process is pretty slick and so far the best way that I have found to view/delete/transfer photos in the field for me.

By: C G

Thanks DEC, seem like a good unit to transfer photos and also charge phone battery if needed. I think I will give this one a try

Date:08-Sep-16

I have the Ravpower too. CG I'll sell it for $20. It is SUPER SLOW compared to the apple or stealth cam model you plug directly into your phone.

Date:09-Sep-16

I bought the one Apple makes for my iPhone. $29 bucks at Amazon and it works great.

Date:16-Sep-16

Boneview..

Date:20-Sep-16

Stealth Cam is not good, unless my buddy got a bad one. I installed the app on his iPhone 6s. I was looking at the card I've been using for all of our cameras, it's the parent card I have in Moutrie card reader. I always go through and delete all the images I don't want on my PC.

I had recently downloaded one of our cards with 2,000 photos on it. As I was browsing the photos within that folder on the card while plugged into the stealth Cam card reader, I would get partially through the viewing and the app would close, or I would get kicked back to the home screen of the app. Once, I also got an error that the device wasn't supported.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.