CAS_HNTR 22-Feb-16
IronMike 22-Feb-16
kstout 22-Feb-16
DPowers 22-Feb-16
Mad Trapper 23-Feb-16
DaveM 23-Feb-16
Dennis Razza 24-Feb-16

Date:21-Feb-16

Go to the Minnesota DNR website. You can buy evergreen seedlings straight from the nursery. Try Badoura Nursery, that's where I buy from. Order now and they will ship when ready.

By: LKH

Under the federal programs, the Farm Service Agency's cohort, the NRCS Natural Resource Conservation Service here in central Montana handle both the state and some private nursery sources.

Out in Montana you would be too late on many of the trees since they would be sold out.

Check with either you State Forestry Department or your county conservation office.

By: Purdue

http://nursery.dnr.maryland.gov

They have this new thing called Google.......

I've used my county conservation district several times. Also can shop my surrounding counties for better prices. In my area prices are usually $100-150/1000 trees

Jack Harris's Supporting Link

Pat - I had good luck with Musser Forests, Inc... I bought a bunch of Norway spruce to sprinkle around the edges of my yard, back in 2002... They were very hardy and now all are over 12feet... I think I got the 5 year transplants, which are 24-36", and you can get 25 for like $100... You can get seedlings much cheaper. 300 for like .35 cents each. They have every evergreen you could imagine, but I do recommend Norway Spruce and Eastern Red Cedar for hardiness and fastest growing, and more deer resistant than anything in the pine family or fir family...

http://www.musserforests.com/prod.asp?p=NOS

Date:22-Feb-16

My county forester just told me that Norway Spruce is considered an invasive...which I had not heard before. Now I am thinking of planning white spruce vs. norways.

Check your state DNR. We purchased 4000 seedlings 10 years or so ago from WI DNR I recall very cheap.

Mike, We have planted about 7,400 trees since 2010... always do a mix of tree species but have become huge fans of the White Spruce Improved variety. I'm in MN and see you are in Vermont...I would think they would work well for you as well.

I know the title of the thread is evergreen seedlings....but anytime we are planting "off AG ground", we have found it well worth our time to spend the money on the bigger (24-36") spruce.

One guy zips out the swamp grass with a steel bladed spinning Stihl weed wacker, the next guy drills the hole with an ice auger and the third guy plants the tree....forming and stomping in about a 30" catch basin around the tree. We then put at least one gallon of water on each new tree planted.

Then come back the next year and spray glyfo around the tree to reduce competition from the native swamp grasses....try to get as much rainfall and nutrient available for the planted tree.

The one other key we've found when planting off the ag ground is to try and plant the new trees in the branches of a deadfall...to try and gain protection from the younger bucks wanting to thrash them.

This has resulted in about a 90% success rate 3 years down the road.

Hope this helps shorten the learning curve:)

Mark

We then p

By: Turpie

Hensler nursery in Indiana

If you are planting a lot.......get plugs, your back will thank you!

Pat, I just received a mailing today from the Penn State Extension program for their annual sale, and they have bulk evergreen seedlings. I think the pick up is pretty close to your NY farm. Shoot me a PM with your email and I will forward you the pamphlet.

By: kstout

Here in Michigan I order from my county soil conservation office. Just got an order form in the mail for spring planting.

x2 on Musser Forests, Indiana, PA

Date:23-Feb-16

Mussers is a good source, but then I can drive there...

By: DaveM
Date:23-Feb-16
DaveM's Supporting Link

I've had great results with trees from both Mussers and the NYSDEC nursery in Saratoga. http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/seedlingbrochure.pdf

Date:24-Feb-16

I use Boyers and Mussers. I think Boyers is cheaper and delivers to my house for a small fee. The state forester got me onto boyers a few years back.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.