ben yehuda 13-Dec-15
Cheesehead Mike 13-Dec-15
Jaquomo 13-Dec-15
Charlie Rehor 13-Dec-15
Jaquomo 13-Dec-15
bou'n08 14-Dec-15
Panhandle Bob 14-Dec-15

Date:12-Dec-15

I'm wanting to really focus on my property improvements, and I'd like to have a map of it (aireal view with boundaries marked). That way I have a reference and so I can share with others, mark stand sites, trails, etc... So my question is -does someone offer this view option?

Thanks, any info appreciated.

Can't you print a google earth view?

By: Shaft

Call the County mapping and description office, land information office (LIS), or the equalization office for the County your hunting in. Tell them you would like a composite aerial photo of your property showing the property lines also. Every county has an office of this type. They maintain the tax maps for that county. Shouldn't cost you more than $5 - $20 based on the size print you want.

County gis.. I was turned onto them when I wanted to get a family I hunt with the same thing. It worked flawless and we got a 36 x 48" view of the farm

Be careful of the lines shown on these maps. They are close but not exact no matter what they or anyone else tells you. Have a surveyor in the family and we had a neighbor who claimed these lines were dead on. Close but only off by 70 feet.

Be careful of the lines shown on these maps. They are close but not exact no matter what they or anyone else tells you. Have a surveyor in the family and we had a neighbor who claimed these lines were dead on. Close but only off by 70 feet over 80 acres.

Date:13-Dec-15

Screwball, that happened to me when my idiot neighbor came over with a map from the county with the "property lines" overlayed. It indicated that most of my garage and a big portion of my backyard was on his property. He was going to sue.

I explained that it was just an overlay but he pointed to the copyright note and insisted it meant it was certified.

Long story short, I had to pay for a survey and he had to move a fence he built on my side of the property line..

Screwball and Jaquomo are spot on. I built a large residential addition earlier this year and according to the county assessor and building department records every lot on the street was 50' longer than they were in reality.

I agree with the advice to check with the County GIS department, County Surveyor or County Recorder/Register of Deeds.

I also agree that you should be careful with the accuracy of GIS maps, they are not an actual survey. Sometimes they're pretty good and sometimes they're not. Accuracy can vary across the county.

I'm a County Surveyor and my office is responsible for creating our GIS database. GIS will always be more accurate when a County Surveyor is involved with its creation. It might be worth asking if the County Surveyor was involved and asking about accuracy.

BTW it's "aerial".

How about this: the USFS took part of a dozen small lots and several cabins where I live because the original survey used incorrect starting points. The statute of limitations had expired for liability against whoever was originally responsible for the screwup, and they were long dead anyway. The survey company that laid out the lots about 40 years ago used the original USFS survey markers, which were incorrectly placed.

This is on the edge of a NF with 1.2 million acres. Like they need 7 more acres.

The USFS offered to sell the properties and cabins back to the owners at today's market value! Our congresswoman tried to mediate but the Feds wouldn't budge. It finally took a BILL IN CONGRESS to restore ownership to the rightful owners.

So even a certified survey doesn't guarantee anything.

So glad it turned out well!

Sort of.. A couple property owners (at least one that I know of) ran into financial troubles but couldn't sell during the dispute, so they had to walk away from their place.

But at least it finally got resolved.

Date:14-Dec-15

Thanks for the input guys. Ive been off-grid for a few days, working on my property. I'll definitely call my county mapping department today and get headed in the right direction. I understand about the boundaries being not exactly right, I'm just looking for approximate (+ or - 50 yards).

Date:14-Dec-15
Panhandle Bob's Supporting Link

I used Hunterra for my property. They do a great job. Got the big poster map for the wall and field maps for my pack. Food plots are marked/numbered, roads overlayed, and sections numbers.

http://www.hunterra.com/

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.