Medicinemann 05-Nov-15
Steve H. 05-Nov-15
Medicinemann 05-Nov-15
skipmaster1 05-Nov-15
Killbuck 05-Nov-15
Drahthaar 05-Nov-15
squid 06-Nov-15

Date:05-Nov-15

It is certainly a rarity to see an albino deer...or to a lesser extent, a piebald deer. I've probably seen less than a dozen in my hunting years.

However, as rare as they are.....how many of you have ever seen a melanistic (black) deer? I have never seen one....and I have only seen a photo of two or three...ever.

Is there such a thing as a piebald deer that is brown and black, or is there a different word for that?

For once, most answers here should be black and white.....

I was just commenting on my Ohio hunt thread how many black squirrels there are whereI am hunting. As for deer- never heard of one all black

Lots of black squirrels around Princeton too Jack. I'm not far from there in PA and have never seen one here.

My buddy was hunting one of my properties on Tuesday and was watching a doe up on a hill about 120 yards away. He watched her leave the area while looking over his shoulder. A few minutes later a jet black form emerged from where she was looking. At first he thought it was a bear, as we do have a few kicking around. A minute later 5 more does joined it and he realized it was actually a black deer. I asked him if it was just darker than the rest but he swears it was melanistic. In going to set up there this weekend and see if I can't get a look at her or maybe even a shot.

By: Lucas

I haven't seen a deer that was melanistic, I have seen a couple that were darker/lighter than normal and an albino doe. Most of what I have read suggests melanistic is much rarer than albinism in whitetails. Have you seen the picture of the black mule deer buck from Colorado?

Skipmaster,

Do you have any cameras set-up in that area, that might have a photo of her? I'd love to see a photo of a black whitetail deer....

There is a black squirrel at this one spot I hunt. SW Pennsylvania. It acts differently than the other grey squirrels. Most greys are pretty subdued, but not this black squirrel. It is super active and aggressive. Acts more like a red squirrel, but it's too big to be a red. Anyone else ever notice this?

Red squirrels are much bigger than greys where I'm from.

Regarding the melanistic deer....in Iowa it's illegal to shoot white deer but no law against shooting the black ones. Surprised we haven't heard from Al Sharpton.

mid, you might be thinking of fox squirrels. Reds are the smallest, bodies only 7-9 inches, then greys, then fox.

Came face to face with young melanistic buck few years back in northwest Michigan. Bow season sitting on ground. I seen him coming through brush at 20 yards and it looked like a black wolf with antlers. Ended up in a stare down at 10 yards. Very cool, had no idea what I was seeing and was going to keep quiet about it until I looked it up. Had never heard of a melanistic deer at that time. A quick google search revealed they have been spotted and shot in the area in the past. Was hoping to get him when he got older, but never seen him again after that season.

There are piebald coloration deer in MS. but not heard of any sightings of black color phase deer. I have heard of them though and know they are rare.

Lots of black squirrels in the MS Delta Region along the MS River.

They seem to be much more rare than albino or piebald deer. I wonder if there has ever been a black and brown buck....and if it is still considered a piebald?

Steve H.'s embedded Photo

I've seen a couple pics of a silver/gray/blue phase in Sitka Blacktails. This fawn was on Admiralty Island in 2006.

Cool picture....almost like a glacier bear for color!!

I don't usually run cameras around here. It's all private land but it's in the suburbs and there are a lot of dishonest folks out there. I may set up my camera and hide it well or just go buy a cheap one

Gene Wensel has some pics of one in the last PBS magazine

A few years back here on bowsite there was someone posting pictures of black deer in their yard. I think they were from Texas. Forrest

By: squid
Date:06-Nov-15

squid's embedded Photo

About 18 months ago my family and I moved from PA to Texas, just outside of Austin. I have seen over a dozen Melanistic deer since moving here and supposedly this area (Hays County) has the highest amount of them in the country and it is unknown why.

We lived in a housing development for over a year while we were building a house. That development was overrun with deer and we would routinely see a couple of black doe.

Since buying land and starting the build of our house, I have seen two on our property, one of which was a buck that I caught on trail cam.

They are spectacular to see in person!!

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.