mn_archer 03-Dec-15
richt1945 03-Dec-15
rock50 03-Dec-15
Cazador 03-Dec-15
SteveBNY 03-Dec-15
lewis 03-Dec-15
spike78 03-Dec-15

Date:02-Oct-15

How many have a trapping program on your property? I have started trapping about 2 years ago and have been trying to catch as much as possible. I have found you need to have a large number of target critters, a large number of traps and a large area to trap. Without all three of these you will just have marginal success. So how many would let someone come on your managed property before, during or after hunting season and thin out critters? I hear guys all the time talk about having 20 coons at their feeders and mineral sites. Guys having pics of coyotes trailing deer, catching turkeys or killing fawns. What is everyone's plan?

Thanks

James

How many have a trapping program on your property? I have started trapping about 2 years ago and have been trying to catch as much as possible. I have found you need to have a large number of target critters, a large number of traps and a large area to trap. Without all three of these you will just have marginal success. So how many would let someone come on your managed property before, during or after hunting season and thin out critters? I hear guys all the time talk about having 20 coons at their feeders and mineral sites. Guys having pics of coyotes trailing deer, catching turkeys or killing fawns. What is everyone's plan?

Thanks

James

By: LINK

I manage my own propert by trapping and killing coons,skunks, coyotes. if i had a problem i couldnt control id let the State trappers put out cynide guns.

By: Tndeer

I snare coyotes. Actually caught a buck once when my deer jump stick was not substantial enough. Luckily the buck also managed to get a leg in the snare as well (no idea how). Anyway, I found him on my way out (the same day) and was able to free him once I threw a coat over his head to calm him down. Was an interesting situation... one I do not plan on repeating.

I trap my place and catch a large number of Coyotes every year. Although it "feels like" I'm doing good, I suspect it actually does very little real good. The reason is that none of my neighbors in say a 10-mile radius are trapping or killing 'yotes. I clean out 30-40 a year off a few hundred acres, but there are hundreds more yappers standing by on all the nearby properties, ready to fill the void. A state-wide bounty, something like they have in Utah, is probably what's needed to have any real effect. Because 'yotes are certainly not worth the trouble to trap, based solely on the measly value of fur.

Yes, Dog proof coon traps are easy and work great. Will help your turkey population. Of course it helps to get rid of as many coyotes as u can. Skunks, possums too

The coon traps work great around feeders if u have them. Even if u don't want to skin them out and sell them u can usually find somebody that does. Some buyers will buy them whole for a reduced rate. Nobody is going to get rich off of them but u might be able to recoup the money u spent for traps and u will end up with a lot less coons.

What sticksender said.

There's evidence that shows localized coyote trapping really don't change population dynamics of the coyote population.

By: LINK

New one to me Randy. Ill have to ask our local guy.

By: Jim B
Date:03-Oct-15

I'm pretty sure they are still using M44's.

Date:03-Oct-15

M44's can still be used but there must be a confirmed livestock loss and 27 other conditions/factors must me present ( distance from residences, specifically placed warning signs,etc). Persistence is the key to trapping especially if neighboring places make no effort to reduce predators. Wool growers would say trapping works because for them one coyote is one too many. It's just has to be a year-round activity and at times it would seem a lot of time is being spent for few catches. If it works for wool growers in a given area it could work for a deer ranch.

By: zipper
Date:01-Dec-15

I started trapping my farm last year to help my game birds nesting on the ground. I trapped 18 coons, and 6 grinners. I did notice more turkey, pheasant and quail on my 300 acres.

By: lawdy

Trap my property and others every year. Mostly coyotes.

Trap my property and others every year. Mostly coyotes.

Last year after getting pics of 12 coons at a time on NR feeder and going through 200 lbs of corn every two weeks I decided to trap and target raccoons. Bought about 10 duke dog proof traps and caught 13 raccoons in a months time span.

This year I have had zero problem with feeders getting destroyed or emptied.

I will tap again this year ( season started today but I'm off on a work trip). I will also buy some spring traps for Bobcats and coyotes as well this year.

It's quite enjoyable

By: lewis

We are working on it particularly after a great 10 point was taken down by a yote you probably saw the pic kill them all Lewis

By: powder

powder's embedded Photo

I would have to say that I disagree with some of the advice given above. I trophy hunt whitetails here in central Illinois and also trap when the ground gets hard. Most hunters and landowners are very reluctant to allow trapping when managing for trophy deer for fear of putting human intrusion into their woods. Trapping does nothing but help the deer. I have seen first hand and have proof how it can help. One year I trapped 11 coyotes off of 26 acres, sure there are more to filter in but the alphas will start catching on to the trapping game and start avoiding that area. The deer learned this and more started using this area. Does want to raise fawns where there are less yotes, Yotes want to raise pups where there is no danger. The year after the 11, not one yote was trapped off that 26 acres, and the snow let me know just how they avoided this patch of woods. There is a active den within half mile of this patch, so when pup dispersal starts for our area around end of December the pups will come through and be easy pickings. In my area Yote family groups overlap so yes it seems like you don't get ahead of them but you really save more fawns than you think. If them 11 were allowed to hunt come fawning time, no doubt they would hurt the deer numbers. Coyote fur right now is about the only fur in the lower 48 that is worth harvesting, price is high for good pelts.

The Az. game and Fish ran a study near globe az. In the Arivipa Wild life area. In the wild life area all coyotes were removed for fawning season. the fawn crop was near 120%, outside the wildlife area fawn survival was 3% this study was conducted during one of the largest droughts in history. another study in Hart Mt. Ore shows 3% survival of mule deer and Antelope fawns on federal game refuges were coyotes are protected. To all you Whitetail hunters, trap,or call one coyote and save 50 fawns, or 50 turkey nest. Don't think shooting one coyote does not help it does.

Date:02-Dec-15

Our coyotes up here go up to 60 pounds. Getting permission to trap them is easy as they are deer killers. The only place that bans trapping is the fed land up here. They don't even allow water trapping because the refuge manager is anti hunting and trapping and told us he owns all the land under the water and won't allow a stake in it. The unfortunate thing is that the feds have plans to take all of Northern NH. I own 60 acres and the only way they will take my land is with a gun.

By: KJC

Nice double Powder!

By: writer

Shoot one coyote and save 50 fawns.

So, my buddy who snares 50 or so coyotes every year is saving 2,500 fawns.

Man, that's one per acre on the property he owns!

And 2,500 extra turkey nests, with even five that hatch per nest. That's over 10,000 extra turkeys on his farm.

I didn't know any place in the nation had a deer or turkey density like that! :-)

We hit the coons pretty hard with dog-proof traps. Only thing that seems to change is that the next year we have just as many coons, but they're smarter.

We've got to do something about the yotes on the ground we hunt. The last three years, I'm seeing almost as many yotes from the stand as deer!!!

Not a night goes by they don't start yelping and howling within 500yds of my stand.

Turkeys have all but disappeared from the area. We used to see or hear turkeys every time we hunted. This year we haven't seen or even heard a turkey.

I was bowhunting this weekend and had a 1 1/2 year spike run by me at full speed, and indeed, there was a big coyote right on his heels that turned around and took off as I was trying to grab my bow. Makes me want to carry a rifle. I see a lot of does that have no fawns and suspect the coyotes impact the turkey population also as do the raccoon. I bought a dozen dog proof traps last year and caught 25-30 coons and a few possums. I feel there are quite a few less coons this year as indicated by game cameras,but realize it will be an ongoing process. What is the most efficient method of reducing the coyote population, if possible?

Great double, powder! Coyotes are the king to put iron on!

My son saw three yotes set a trap for a mature buck this fall. One pushed the buck to the other two which were hidden in ambush. All three attacked, but the mature buck was quick enough to escape them. These things are scary. They move into town and threaten people. A couple years ago a friend's wife was literally chased into her house when she went outside to scare a pack off.

lewis's embedded Photo

I probably should'nt post this again it still hurts this was on our place in Tn.I found the remains about 60-70 yds.from where the pic was taken.Believe me war has been declared.Lewis

By: jjs

Want to get rid of yotes bring in wolves, got a few in Mn that can do the job and will help with out Mn. moose/deer herd by removing them. Haven't seen or heard a yote for sometime where I hunt in Mn, just wolves.

Pat you the man unbelievable how many we now have in Tn I might have to get in the night vision deal.Lewis

Pat, there is a much better IR light to compliment your night vision. For less than $300, you can buy a Tactical Night Vision Company Torch Pro that is unbelievably better than the IR light that comes with the ATN scopes. When yours goes out,( and I was on my third one ), try the TNVC. You can focus the beam down to small square of light. Many a pig has regretted me having found this light.

Date:03-Dec-15

I have trapped my whole life and own a wildlife control company. There are many factors that come into play when talking about making a real difference.

Yes trapping your small parcel will help, however you need access to a bunch of land if your going to make a real difference.

michael

the old man next to my farm told me how to get rid of a pack of dogs fast make a batch off special meatball balls with a small treble hook inside each one those stupid dogs swallow the the meatballs whole and die a day later

By: rock50

It would be interesting to get a response from Lloyd Hooper at Babine.

I can't speak for him but when on the trapline with him in 2014 I believe he thought taking 30+ wolves each year out of his concessions really helped the moose population.

Pat,

Those are some big coyotes. We're actually going on year 2 or 3 of a mange epidemic on the plains of Colorado, and it has really knocked them back. The ones I see are all messed up. Haven't seen a nice looking one in several years. Ghost town out there these days.

richt1945 - anyone doing that is a sick SOB. And probably breaking several laws. One thing to hunt or trap humanely. Another to indiscriminately torture an animal.

Pat please tell me your gun is unloaded.Lewis nice yote by the way

Pat, something tells me if all the coyotes were dead you would not be a happy camper.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.