CAS_HNTR 22-Sep-15
woodstick 22-Sep-15
12yards 22-Sep-15
woodstick 22-Sep-15
r-man 22-Sep-15
Oakie 22-Sep-15
Kodiak 22-Sep-15

Date:22-Sep-15

I've got a spot where I've found sheds consistently for several years. I've found matched sets from 6 different bucks within a very small area. It's on a high ridge with steep drop-offs on three sides, and plenty of briars. I've only hunted sheds and turkeys there in the past. When would you hunt an area like this, or would you try to save it as a sanctuary? I don't own or control the land, its timber company and open to other hunters.

Put up a couple of cameras and check the haps, see what kind of activity is going on. My guess is that it is a bedding area and then it would be your call on going in and setting up stands. I would find travel routes in and out and set up on those. I always find most of my sheds in or around a good bedding area.

Tony

I agree with Active Shooter.....alot of sheds in or near bedding areas or right in food sources.

I would try and concentrate around the perimeter of the area or on some neaby funnel.....maybe later in the year you could sneak in there and give it a shot, but be carful about disturbances. If they are comfortable bedding there now.....best to keep them there and try and catch them going in/out.

woodstick's MOBILE embedded Photo

That's been my train of thought to. It's a small opening in a grown up gas line right of way through a mature oak forest. When the acorns hit, the whole area is a food source. I'm thinking if I ever deer hunt there, I may try the last week of the season.

If it is more of a wintering area it might not be very good. If your deer don't change areas for winter, it could be a great spot.

Our deer don't really move to wintering areas. They follow the sun when the snow gets heavy. This spot gets good winter sun and the thermals come together really well. I've found about 15 sheds within 30 yards of each other. I'm guessing it's best to stay away and hunt a funnel from a feeding area. Might hunt once or twice in late December if I have a buck tag left, hoping they'll forget by next season.

By: r-man

I find many sheds where I hunt, these areas just mean deer spend time there before they move else where, thickets snag loose antlers and bedding is near.

By: Oakie

Sheds are where the bucks are when the sheds fall off. Here in the south/midwest, that's usually February through April.

If we think about what bucks are doing at that time of the year, that can answer a lot of questions. They're typically grouped back up in bachelor groups since the rut has passed. They're also usually trying to stay warm and keep their bellies filled.

In my experience, this is completely different than what they're doing/interested in, and where they are in the month of November, for example. I would not automatically assume an area with lots of sheds to be productive during a November hunt. I'd probably leave it for the very late season, although I might scout it once in late October just to see if sign looks hot.

Hunting is such a fun puzzle.

I'd wager that ridge faces west. Warm in the winter.

Little to do with fall hunting IMO.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.