t-roy 22-Aug-15
Mark Watkins 22-Aug-15
eric7553 22-Aug-15
t-roy 22-Aug-15
eric7553 22-Aug-15
Mark Watkins 22-Aug-15
r-man 22-Aug-15

Date:21-Aug-15

Hello everyone - I'm fairly new to the forum and have really enjoyed the information thus far. Here's the situation: I have 0 farming/implementing experience, but am extremely motivated to try my hand at growing foot plots on our 80acres in northern Wisconsin. After educating myself on food plotting101, the main question I have is what should be on my initial shopping list for implementing attachments? Unfortunately I do not have easy access to a tractor, but I do own a 2012 Polaris Ranger 500efi. My first thought was trying a "No Plow" plot from Whitetail Institute as an introduction and simply raking the ground to start. The first search in looking for a lift system and rake led me to Cabelas, but the reviews were concerning to me. So my question is, what can everyone recommend for a "starter kit" (ie., attachments and brands) without breaking the bank? Can I get started with some quality equipment for $500-$1000? And I guess is my Polaris enough for such work? Thanks in advance!

First off, welcome to Bowsite ! I wish I could be of more help, but I use a farm tractor and the various implements that go with it, disc, seeder, drag, etc. I have pulled a drag with my Polaris, but that's the extent of what I've used it for except to haul sacks of fertilizer. Surely someone on here can give you some useful info. Good luck with your plots !

By: r-man

for that money rent stuff, a 48" disc 500$, look for used stuff

By: t-roy
Date:22-Aug-15

I would advise against using your Ranger for anything other than lighter duty stuff such as spraying or seeding. Using an atv/utv for heavier duty stuff such as discing, plowing, dragging, cultipacking, etc., is hard on them. I've used both a Polaris 800atv & a Polaris Ranger 800 for some of these applications & had them overheat, plus had a friend have his Ranger catch fire & burn up while using it pulling his culti-packer. Fortunately both he & his 4 year old daughter got out of it safely.

You might be better served to see if you can hire a farmer to help you to get your plots in this year & maybe keep an eye out (Craigslist) for an older type tractor like an M or H Farmall, etc. that you could use in the future. Many times you can find these tractors in decent shape for $1,500--$3,000 range. I've bought quite a bit of my food plot implements at farm auctions too. Junk iron prices are down right now, so the smaller implements that would work with that size of tractor aren't bringing as much money at the sales now either. If you go this route, I would recommend getting an 8'-10' disc as your first implement.

It's easy to spend other people's money! I would hate to see you possibly tear your Ranger up, though. With decent care, a tractor would last you a long time, do a better overall job for you, plus give you more options as far as implements.

Whatever route you go, you will have a blast putting in food plots. Good luck to you with your project!

T-roy x2.

Seven years ago I was in your shoes.

"If I were you" I would (and in this order):

-hire a neighbor with the right equipment to come in and work the ground

-If no neighbor is available, then rent a tractor with needed implements

-do a quick soil test

At this time of the year in northern WI, I would plant winter rye and oats as long as you are getting at least 5-6 hours of daylight on this plot. These two are both good attratcants and the winter rye will grow down to 34 degrees. Then go over the plot with about 2-3 lbs/acre of clover. This will be good for turkeys (and deer) in the spring assuming ou have them in your area.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide and how it turns out!

Mark

Thanks for the input guys - and I agree with everything that's been said. Does everyone think that even pulling a rake behind a Ranger would be problematic? In my haste to get something in the ground yet this fall(with the limited equipment I have....not to mention the limited time), it looked like I could buy a few attachments from Cabelas, just to rake the ground, spread, fertilize, etc. and try out some throw and grow. If the consensus is this too would be harmful to my machine then I certainly will not do it, but if I can get away with it I can likely get it done this fall yet and plan on bigger jobs next season and beyond. So in summary:

1. Should I not even bother thinking about using the Ranger?

2. If I can use it for raking at least....should I avoid buying the "hundred" dollar attachments from cabelas?

By: t-roy

I would stay away from the Cabelas type attachments. How big of an area are you talking about? If it's not too big, I would recommend going in & mowing it down as low as possible then raking off the cuttings & then, as Mark suggested, fertilize & plant some rye/oats/wheat & some clover. I've never tried it, but triticale is also recommended by another Bowsiter that has WAY more experience than I have. It might be something to look into. I believe he is from Wisconsin as well.

Since you haven't broken the ground much, if any, I would seed them a little heavy. Then drive over all of it with your ranger to try to press the seeds into the ground somewhat. Good seed to soil contact is what you are trying to achieve. If it can be done shortly before a good rain, even better. Not all of it will grow, but you can grow rye/wheat/oats on a concrete block if you have the moisture.

Regarding size - small. The acreage is mostly wooded and some bog, but it has a few trails through it. So I was going to start with seeding stretches of trails and one site (~1/2 acre) that is mostly clear from logging that was done ~10 years ago. I really would like to do a few smaller test sites to see what kind of impact it might have with the deer traffic in our area (we purchased it 3 years ago, so we this will be our 3rd fall monitoring with cameras) relative to what we have seen in the years previous.

If this is unbroken (as defined as not planted for Ag the previous season) ground don't even think about tearing up your ranger. They are great vehicles but they simply are Not built for your situation.

Hate to see you have a beaten up UTV:)

Mark

By: r-man

pm sent, sprayer, mower, seeder, and types of seeds that germinate on top of soil

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.