Kdog 22-Apr-15
nutritionist 24-Apr-15
Kurchak 25-Apr-15
Kurchak 26-Apr-15

By: Kdog
Date:21-Apr-15

Anyone here use one of these?

http://www.dewdropdrill.com/index.htm

I was thinking about getting something like this to make my plots a little easier. Most are fairly small and planted on some trails and such. I am fairly inexperienced at this, but put in several plots and planted trails last year and they turned out pretty well. I have a Polaris Ranger 500, a sprayer, a pull behind disk and a trail mower. I was thinking that with this thing I could just mow down the plot, spay, and then plant with the seed drill. Basically skip the disking.

My plots are mostly clover, brassicas, and possibly some winter wheat/oats. Last year I planted just by broadcasting and driving around with my ranger to push the seeds and soil together.

Kdog

So how much does one of these outfits cost?

By: r-man

not every crop works with drill seeders , some plants will not flourish with out the soil being loosened and broken. I have often just plowed then flatten then tickle disc the soil to make 3" groves, witch the seed settles in. then drag . Option two is broad cast seed then disc, this works for corn and beens an wheat, not for brasca's or turnips and such.

buckhammer, I emailed the company to find out. Will post once I hear back.

Well I found out the unit costs 7 grand.

r-man - I am interested in your comment that "some plants will not flourish with out the soil being loosened and broken". Would those plants include clover, brassicas, and possibly some winter wheat/oats? No sense on even thinking about this if it won't work the way I want it too.

Date:22-Apr-15

Every seed has an effective planting depth.

100% of the fields i walked last year of situations where people complained about plant growth were failures because of one common theme, improper planting depth.

100% of these cases were from expensive new equipment that wasn't properly understood.

Soil conditions, slope, and soil compaction all are factors that come into play. Setting one's equipment once and covering a field that varies in soil type and slope can lead to issues.

$7000.00 Wow I think I will continue to hand seed and/or rent a 3pt drill.

Large seeds I handle just as r-man described. Small seeds, I drag the plot smooth before planting. If it's smooth enough ( depends on soil type and moisture ), I roll it with my homemade roller. If not, I drag once with my home made tire drag. Works for me.

Planting depth can be screwed up with old, cheap equipment as easily as with new expensive equipment. The seed does not know what put it in the ground, nor the cost.

Wonder about new cheap equipment, or old expensive equipment.......

Thanks for the feedback. Instead of getting this, I think I am going to invest in a few more tools for my UTV to make it a little easier. (Mainly a Landscape rake, and cultipacker.) Like I said in my original post, my food plots turned out fine with what I was using and how I did it. I believe with what I am going to plant broadcasting will work fine. That being said if someone got on here and told me that this thing was unbelievable and really sold me on it I might be more inclined to fork out the cash.

Obviously a tractor and heavier equipment would be the another way to go. However, I have my reasons for wanting to avoid going this route... (mainly cost, my food plots are small, and it is one more thing to keep working.)

Kevin

Date:24-Apr-15

something that many don't think about... discing in the seed....

i have use of a great plains drill the homeade drill that ive posted pistures of a broadcast seeder and if i showed people pictures of my test plots, i'd think one would have a hard time identifying how i planted some of these plots.

Instead of cranking up the great plains i have as much success broadcasting, setting the disc down to 1" on the soybean and soybean blends. Then i roll it.

So many food plotters are on a budget. Think out of the box. It's not all about the equipment but how one places the seed.

Heck, around 25 years ago i had customers feeding clovers through their cattle and letting them place it naturally on the ground. We even mixed seed with the manure and manure spread seed.

Frost seeding is done by virtually everyone i worked with/work with who manage intentive graze, this is something many should consider for food plots.

Side note.....i will be doing a trial starting this year showing NO TIL food plot rotations. The key to this is the inclusion of humics, bulbs, frost seeding and alternative forages.

Date:25-Apr-15

You can buy a ford 8N, a small used disc, a two bottom moldboard plow, a quality hand seeder, an old drag (can use chain link fence) and a cultipacker for less than a decent ATV. Nothing beats plowing, discing with drag behind, broadcast with a quality hand crank bag seeder and cultipacking. You will never have a better seeding than this combo. AND you can use the tractor to plow snow in the winter with a back blade, and mow your lawn with a finishing mower. All for under $5000.

Date:26-Apr-15

Oliver 550 diesel (my family farm has had one of these for over 40 years and it still is used daily as loader/chore tractor) in working order with most needed items plus snow plow and mower on CL today in Harrisonburg VA for $3800 today

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.