jboutdoorguy 18-May-15
jboutdoorguy 18-May-15
deerman406 18-May-15
r-man 18-May-15
gcoleman 20-May-15
badlander 20-May-15
JLBSparks 21-May-15

Date:12-Apr-15

All -- I'm going to buying a disc this spring for a new property I purchased. Somewhat hilly terrain. Any recommendations? Would like to spend under $1k...

Date:12-Apr-15

I looked at several makes before I decided on a Howes.

They are built considerably better than most other disc out there.

Mine is a 3pt. 6 foot wide notched disc both front and year.

Paid $550 for it at an auction

Date:13-Apr-15

I have a Howse disc as well. Paid $750 new for a 60". I also have a Brown disc that is 7'6" and adjustable but that was considerably more. Tractor size has a lot to do with it.

Date:14-Apr-15

Using my quad. Yamaha Kodiak 450. Sorry, should have mentioned that. Looking at King Kutter at rural king

http://www.ruralking.com/king-kutter-compact-disc-atv-notched-blades-14-10-cd-y.html?___SID=U

Date:16-Apr-15

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but once that disc starts digging up and into the soil it will be a lot of stress on the ball/frame, especially if you don't have a receiver hitch. Not to mention the stress that's gonna be on your thumb, lol

By: r-man

I have a double row disc I got from northerntool, whats your horsepower? 25hp or under on a quad you should stay under 42" wide, mine 48" and I had to remove two disc to get her to go, I'm pulling only 36" wide double row and its all she's got to do that with 20hp motor.

Oh, my rototiller processed the soil better than the disc, but I sold it, what a mistake, . Find a motor driven tiller and make mount to your quad, you will find that's the best choice with low powered equipment.

Pat nailed it. I used to try and till but couldn't get it fine enough or ground enough. I now pay someone to simply go and till up my plots, then I plant, spray and mow as needed.

Best $ you'll ever spend and you wont have to get a bigger units for one task. I think everything else, from lime to broadcasting, spraying and mowing can be done with ATV/UTV. Its the tilling that is tough, especially on older clover fields and especially new ground.

I played with them quad types 450 is small it didnt work for me bounced on top . I once did a plot with some agg tires and my jeep tore the ground up then dragged some fencing to level planted clover came up great . I since bought a tractor 35hp it sure is fun

Why couldnt a guy drag a heavy 3pt disc behind a pickup

By: t-roy
Date:20-Apr-15

Another issue with the small ATV type discs is they have a tendency to crow-hop if you don't go very slowly. They can also be a PITA to maneuver in tight spaces. They can be a pain to back up too if you need to.

mine has electric lift, and wheels from a mower. With out wheels and some way to lift or back up you will get her stuck. I bought a electric dump cylinder from Northern tool and welded a scissor action for wheel assembly . some company makes a small single row disc that can be flipped over to access wheels

I have had an amish guy make up a prototype for me and i tested it out yesterday. I am having this guy build other food plot equipment for my friends and clients. $895 for the disc. So many people out there are talented and can build food plot equipment for those on a budget.

Date:21-Apr-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo

I have 2-row disc that in the past I have always pulled around with my Artic Cat 700 ATV. It works well but I occasionally get stuck which can be a pain. I also don't like the wear and tear on my ATV.

Last night I hooked the disc up to Old Blue, my 87 GMC wood-hauler and disked up one of my food plots. It worked really well!

By: CraigL

CraigL's embedded Photo

This worked very well, but if you want to be able to back up with it you would have to use heavier pipe or square tubing.

By: Ambush

Ambush's embedded Photo

This is one I made from half of an old drag disc. It's been great so far, but I only had about an acre snaking along a ravine. I broke up and planted three more small bush plots today. The ground was logged about fifteen years ago and we just cat'ed off the thick poplar re-growth. It breaks up fairly easy, but there's a lot of root picking.

By: Ambush

Ambush's embedded Photo

A closer look.

Date:22-Apr-15

nutritionist's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here is the food plot disc that am amish guy build for me last week to test out. I plan on renting it out to people who can't afford to buy new one's themselves.

Date:17-May-15

I also am looking at the King Kutter flip over atv disk to pull with my 450 Kodiak. I have no problem doing many passes to get it good. That is half the fun. I am guessing they wouldn't have a market selling these things if they didn't work right? Can someone give me a guess on how many passes it would take going over an over grown grassy/weedy area before you have a plot ready to seed? Anybody that has pulled one with an atv please chime in with any of your experiences. Thanks

mow and spray the weeds, that will make it possible to pull through it, and it will take a lot of passes with small equipment. weigh it down if its a light weight disc. once the roots of the field weeds began to rot, then you might get some where. its not easy , rent a tractor if you can

I used a 2 gang 33 in wide disc for my 2 acre lawn. Used a Honda 420. Sprayed weeds a couple of times before I started. I don't remember how many passes I made as it got wet on me and could not plant so ended up dissing weeds in a few times throughout the summer then planted in the fall. I would say at least 3-4 times min alternating direction. One issue I had was with harder packed areas. I had to go in circles to get the disc to cut in. The angle on the gangs was not enough to get the disc to cut very deep.

Date:18-May-15

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be able to plow some of the area with a tractor but do not have a disc for the tractor. The tractor is also not mine which is why I would be buying an atv disk and not one for a tractor. The atv disk should cut through the plowed sod better than unworked ground right? I have been told I should still kill the weeds with roundup before plowing with tractor. Does this sound right? Thanks guys

Also any thoughts on the flip over disk vs. the tandem model?

Pat hit the nail on the head. I have a son in law who plows up any new ground for me. I than use my New Holland 28 HP tractor and use an old set of disks(circa 1920) with a drag bar and for weight I have two old concrete gaurdrails mounted on top. My suggestion would be go to a local auction and see what you can come up with for cheap. Shawn.

if you have a tractor you'll be fine, and bring 3-400lbs of weight for that very tiny and light weight model, and as for the disc angles on the flip disc, I do not feel that they are angled anough

Date:20-May-15

guys at our lease bought a Ground hog max thats made for an atv ,, it uses the weight of the atv to cut up the ground,,, all the other discs we used that pulled behind atv just bounced over the new ground with very little cutting unless dirt was very soft... the ground hogg cut the ground up good even on new ground,,, seems like tractor supply had them for less then 300 bucks,,, there are videos on you tube showing how it works and on their web site pretty neat design that worked well for us in rocky ground...

Date:20-May-15

My experience using an ATV was not as positive as many of the others above.

I used a Kunz Till-ez disc behind my arctic cat 650 on a 1/2 acre plot in the woods that I had broken and tilled and planted the previous year with a rented tractor and tiller. The repairs my atv needed once I was done the 2nd year cost more than the tractor and tiller rental the year before.

If I do ever try to food plot with an ATV again instead of a rented tractor, I'll probably spend the money on an agri-fab or DR pull behind powered roto-tiller and let the tool do the work instead of tearing my ATV apart again.

Date:21-May-15

I bought a pre-3pt disc from a neighbor that had it for nearly 60 years, and pull it with an '88 S-15 Jimmy (no title). Works great for a $400 total expenditure.

-Joe

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.