walks with a gimp 09-Feb-15
walks with a gimp 09-Feb-15
Swampbuck 09-Feb-15
walks with a gimp 10-Feb-15
Swampbuck 10-Feb-15
jdrdeerslayer 04-Mar-15
Teeton 04-Mar-15

Date:06-Feb-15

Does anyone ballest their tubeless tires on your tractor? I have a compact tractor that I just bought a loader for and want to water ballest the rear wheels. My only concern is thr rims rusting out. My JD 5525 has tubes so I don't worry about the rims rusting.

I too have Rim Guard in my compact tractor. about 250 pounds in each tire really helps especially with a loader on.

Bo, if you don't mind me asking, what was the cost and did have to bring it to a dealer to have them filled? At 250# each, are your wheels 11.2x24s. I need 48 gals total. If I can find a dealer maybe they will fill a 55gal drum for me, that way I can fill them.

So Pat, will the deer be trying to suck the juice out.....never mind

Date:07-Feb-15

I worked at a tire shop between '73 and 84 and did on the farm tire service. About every farm tractor used calcium chloride solution for weight in the rear tires. It was mixed in a 50 pound bag per 50 gallons of water to prevent freezing in the tire. I'd wonder if sugar beet juice would freeze? I fixed a few tires in my day that froze because the solution wasn't strong enough, not fun at all! I really would question weather or not the juice wouldn't rust the rims also, it's water basically.

Date:07-Feb-15

I worked at a tire shop between '73 and 84 and did on the farm tire service. About every farm tractor used calcium chloride solution for weight in the rear tires. It was mixed in a 50 pound bag per 50 gallons of water to prevent freezing in the tire. I'd wonder if sugar beet juice would freeze? I fixed a few tires in my day that froze because the solution wasn't strong enough, not fun at all! I really would question weather or not the juice wouldn't rust the rims also, it's water basically.

Date:08-Feb-15

swampbuck, dealer came out to fill them. 3 neighbors went together so service charge was minimal.

Date:09-Feb-15

Yes I went to the web site and read that it doesn't freeze. It'd be great if it didn't rust the rims. I had a torch set up with me and I'd repair the rims if the rust wasn't to bad around the valve stem hole. I really likes doing that work back then. I had a LOT of places to hunt deer due to the fact that I worked a lot of weekends for extra money when I was raising a family. The farmers knew who I was and worked hard to keep them going during planting and harvest seasons. You need special pumps and hardware to pump fluid in and out of a tire. They used to make an adapter to use a simple garden hose to fill tires with plain water that had an air bleeder valve on it. Just hook it up and turn on the water and when the pressure built up in the tire, shut the water off and bleed some air out of the tire.

Fluid ballast is a great idea for many tractors. It adds weight for more traction, better balance and more stability, since ballast add weight at the lowest possible point. Other options would include wheel weights and steel weights that can be added to the front or back of a tractor.

Depending on what you are using the tractor for, there are many strategies to add weight to a tractor to optimize all features. Most dealerships can help you figure out how much weight you want in the front or back tires, and often the owners manual can give you an idea of how much weight you want where. Many of the farmers in my area will ballast the tires with what works most of the time, and use steel tractor weights they can add or remove to make it best for specific tasks.

The disadvantages of ballast in the tires is that it makes it more complicated to change, repair or pump up a tire, and the fact that many of the compounds used in the past were highly corrosive. I highly recommend getting a tire company to fill your tires with fluid. In my area, the service charges are not too bad for them to come to your place and take care of it. Of course, I live in an agricultural area, so it is a pretty common service for anyone who deals with tractor tires.

Here's a link to the garden hose adapter. You could always drain the water back out during the winter and use chains for snow removal. Plain water wouldn't be near as corrosive as calcium chloride. Most all ag rims are painted to prevent corrosion.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/7K/Air-Liquid-Adapter-Kit

Some of the rock quarry equipment back in the day used powdered lead, probably not environmentally acceptable today...

I'm fortunate enough to have a shop where all the equipment is stored and worked on, so there's no need for outside services. Called the kubota dealer about the rims, they told me the rim is completely painted so filling them with water won't hurt them as long as fill them up above the rim (75%). $200 on beet juice seems a lot if I get a flat in the woods, think I'm going the water route. Thanks for the info.

Date:10-Feb-15

75% I think will still be below the valve stem opening with the valve stem sitting at 12 o'clock. You just need to be able to let out air as the water level rises in the tire. Better also invest in an air/water tire gauge while you're ordering supplies. I think we charged $.50 a gallon back in the 70's for calcium chloride solution. One year my wife picked the remaining tomatoes out of the garden in early October. Had enough to almost fill a new wheel borrow that she promptly stored in an old shed and forgot about until I found it in the spring. Acid ate all the paint off that thing and was almost rusted through...

Date:10-Feb-15

Thanks walks, I already had what I need to fill the wheels from the JD

Date:04-Mar-15

my Mahindra tires are loaded with beet juice too

By: Teeton
Date:04-Mar-15

There is a foam the they can fill tires with now a days. The foam that's used is very heavy and you get no more flats, it will not rust the rims and when time to change tires you cut the tire off with a sawzall.. The days of water filled tire are almost gone.. This stuff works great.. Ed

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.