Teeton 26-Jan-15
woodstick 27-Jan-15
drycreek 27-Jan-15
WIbowhunter365 27-Jan-15
happygolucky 27-Jan-15
drycreek 27-Jan-15
woodstick 27-Jan-15

Date:26-Jan-15

Anyone have any success spreading ag lime with a small, tow behind spreader? I've got to lime 1 1/2 acres @ 4tons/acre, going to put down half now and half in the fall. Just wonder if those 100lb poly hopper spreaders you pull with an atv or mower can stand up to it. I've seen a few with a metal gearbox that look more durable, but wasn't sure if they'd feed or plug.

By: Teeton
Date:26-Jan-15

Ag Lime, NO!!! Pellet lime Yes! Pellet lime cost to much for 4 ton and dose not last as long as ag lime.. I would not think twice of putting it all down at once. WE just shovel in out of the back of a small dump truck with a spreading motion with the shovels.. Four ton with a driver and 2 guys in the back of a truck 1 to 2 hours tops and it all gone.. This is how we been doing it for years..

Date:27-Jan-15

It's been a mild, wet winter here. Bare ground has only been frozen a few inches thick and where there's ground cover hasn't even froze. What I do have is soft, muddy ground. I can rent a 4 ton spreader, but will need frozen ground to use it. Those little spreaders are nice for seeding and small fertilizer jobs, but I didn't figure they'd stand up to powdered lime.

I have put out lime with a " cyclone " spreader on a farm tractor as well as a yard type pulled behind a UTV. They work fine for me. I didn't even do a soil test on a couple small plots. I just turned them white in the early spring and tested in the fall. Maybe I was lucky, but they were good to go. I guess it helps when you have done a lot of liming " by the book " so you kinda have a feel for it. Every new food plot where I am needs lime. Good luck !

I've been liming my food plot about an acre total for years using a tow behind spreader and its not that great but works. It bridges up the sides but the middle goes down you may need to shake it couple times also. I just keep filling it and leave it bridge up until the end and shake the rest down. Open it up all the way also. I spread about 2000 pounds every spring. Sandy soil. A battery viborator would work great mounted on the side but not sure if one exist.

"A battery viborator would work great mounted on the side but not sure if one exist. "

I'll check with my wife and get back to you on that one :).

I do that with my larger plots Pat. In fact, on some of them , I don't ever unhook from the truck. But some of my plots can't be reached with that rig, in which case I use bag lime and the tractor spreader. Pain in the butt, but as they are not very big, the pain doesn't last long.

That's $75/day picked up + $30/ton here. That's how I prefer to spread lime, and if it gets cold enough I will. With all the freezing and thawing we've had, it could take a team of horses to get one unstuck. I've got a new lawn and 2 food plots to lime, but will either need a freeze or wait til it dries up.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.