jmb 03-Aug-14
bowbearman 03-Aug-14
Jon Simoneau 04-Aug-14
zipper 04-Aug-14
cuda383 23-Aug-14
Rex Featherlin 25-Aug-14
LINK 25-Aug-14

Date:31-Jul-14

Why doe they still sell game cameras with the flash that scare deer?

Ps I send 1 camera back to moultrie and they send me back a flash camera sending it back

Who said they scare deer? I've watched muleys, elk, bears and moose in front of a game camera with the flash going off repeatedly and they ignore it. Sometimes down below my cabin it will flash so often that it looks like a wedding is being photographed and they just go on about their business.

One time while sitting in a tree stand, I watched the flash from one of my old 35 mm film trail camera's scare off a dinky 4 pt. He had been coming up the trail in my direction and stopped where I had the camera covering a mock scrape. He definitely noticed it and it definitely had a negative effect on him as he ran away in the other direction. Some have said they attribute the flash to natural things like lightning...but I saw first hand that isn't true!

~Hunters in the KNOW let young bucks GROW!~

KS Flatlander's Supporting Link

Interesting video

KS Flatlander's Supporting Link

Wrong one sorry!

I don't think white flash bothers deer at all (like natural lightning). The red flash on single picture not bad, but on multiple/burst mode the first red flash gets their attention but the 2nd/3rd sometimes spook the deer.

Going to try black flash in the future, but not using red flash with multiple pics anymore.

This is going to become like the Nose Jammer thread.

Ok, I'll declare game cameras as cheating, just to keep it on track! :-)

By: BB
Date:01-Aug-14

BB's embedded Photo

I have taken a lot of flash photos of deer, elk, moose, bear, etc. and the flash has absolutely no effect on them. But try it with an antelope and they head for the next country. In fact, on an antelope, even the low red light, focus assist light will spook them from 50 yards. But its a fallacy that flash from a camera scares the other animals. Now the shutter noise is a whole new thing!

Have a great bow hunt. BB

I get no reaction from deer using a hand held camera with a flash at close range.

If you use a camera on whitetails and they are looking at the flash in your pictures I believe you are teaching them bad things about that spot. I know others disagree but that's my experience. C

PS: I have very little experience with other species so this is about whitetails.

Had a pile of old Cuddebacks with flash on them. Would get thousands of pics off of them while placed on water tanks all summer. Had them same mature bucks and does in the summer that were there in the fall and winter. In my opinion the flash doesn't spook the deer at all or have any long term effect on them coming around.

Whitetail deer, coyotes and raccoons all notice flash. Even IR flash. If and how they react to it is highly variable.

BTW, you can view the flash on your smart phone camera. Simply set it up to take a photo and trip the camera. My Reconx cams give off a red glow that last for a few seconds. Kind of interesting.

Date:02-Aug-14

Even infrared light spooks deer. I've been putting ducktape over light lens this year and just getting day photos, because in the end, that's what counts. There's some mature deer than look into the camera during daylight hours and you just know, that they know, that they're familiar with a trailcam, flash or no flash.

By: jmb

I used flash trail cams for years and started using black flash cams two years ago. One thing I have noticed is that I get more repeat pics of mature bucks on the black flash cams than I did with my white flash. A few years ago, I watched a 3yr old buck walking on a trail towards one of my white flash cams and when he got about 30 yards from it, he broke off the trail and avoided the cam. He ended up getting back on the trail about five yards behind the camera.

deer know that they are being watched by a camera?

really?????????????????????????

come on man!!!!!!!!

maybe a flash scares them but they don't know they are being watched.

Date:03-Aug-14

If I put a camera on a scrape, I always put it as high as I can reach while standing on the back of my cart. Then, I let it sag until it's pointed right. The reason is; in the past I have had the scrape abandoned by mature bucks after one pic. Not since I started putting them high though. On minerals ( spring and summer ) , or on food plots, I still set them about waist high or a little higher, depending on terrain. Doesn't seem to bother them. The two Primos black flash cams I have must make some kind of noise though, because I have pics of deer looking straight at them.

By: jmb

"deer know that they are being watched by a camera?"

Who said anything about that?

I still have flash cameras and i dont think they bother a thing I have nice bucks come back time after time not problem!!

Aaron

Date:04-Aug-14

I think flash cameras spook them less than the red light deals. Put them up high angling down. I think the deer just think it's lightning or a shooting star or something. Red light cameras on video mode are really bad for spooking deer. Even on picture mode I now set them to only take one or two pics. The red light just stays on too long I've got some black flash deals and those are the way to go in my opinion. Still though, I like full color pictures that aren't blurry and only a white flash can give you that.

By: zipper
Date:04-Aug-14

In my whitetail experience all flash and red infared cams get the deers attention. Blacklight cams have received less notice. My instinct is to hang blacklight cams high. At least 6 feet high.

Date:23-Aug-14

I have pics of buck that stay at the camera after the flash. and I have pics of bucks you can tell that they are spooked in the first pic and then gone in the next few. so I think it depends on the deer and maybe how often they are around it.

Date:25-Aug-14
Rex Featherlin's Supporting Link

Jon Simoneau, Try this one.

By: LINK
Date:25-Aug-14

I use old school stealth flash cams. I've never noticed a deer becoming camera shy and I get pics of deer 30yds away not 10ft like many of the new IR. I'm the opposite I hate looking for cameras and not being able to find a flash. I think the noise of the camera scares deer far more than flash will. When you get pics of a deer jumping etc its is most always the sound of the inner workings of the cam not the flash. I've set in a tree over a camera and watched this a few times and the deer are alarmed long before the flash goes off.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.