Buck Watcher 07-Jul-14
willliamtell 07-Jul-14
Fuzzy 09-Jul-14
Callingalldeer 09-Jul-14
Cheesehead Mike 09-Jul-14
Herdbull 09-Jul-14
sir misalots 10-Jul-14

Date:01-Jul-14

My garden is rocking this year! Which got me thinking…with all the talk about foodplots and the same crops, grasses, etc. being planted over and over obviously because they work but what about thw following… will deer eat any of this:

Potatoes Radishes Carrots Zucchini Butternut or acorn squash Green beans Romaine Spinach Tomoatoes

They will mash your green beans

I know they donc care for squash. Even hogs don't like squash or cucumbers. Everything else is subject to het hammered.

By: Zbone
Date:02-Jul-14

They plant radishes in food plots...8^)

By: KJC

Yes, yes, yes, no, no or no, yes, yes, yes, yes.

At least that's been my experience.

Deer will eat anything when food sources are non-existant, or their favorites foods are not available.

My Wife's Japanese Hollys and Leyland Cypresses will attest to that, from this past fall in Virginia with a complete mast failure.

TBM, I grow 200acres of cucumbers a year, I can promise you hogs love them. Cucumbers are like crack to a whitetail in Florida.

They started wearing out cotton plants about 10 years ago until depredation tags fixed that.

So just because they ain't never dont mean they wont start

What animals eat depends on what they know to eat. They have to learn.

Our biologist currently is trying to teach deer (where I hunt) that corn is edible. The deer aren't eating directly from the stalk, but feed once the kernels are removed and scattered on the ground.

Ten years ago, one area that normally had corn; the deer knew what it was and ate it normally. No corn has been planted for over ten years, now they are clueless.

Raccoons are smarter in this category.

The same is most likely true with other fruits and vegetables, humans included.

By: MDW

Have one Doe that hits my garden on a regular basis and all she eats is the silk off the tips of ears of sweet corn, while it is fresh.

Very seldom does she bother the green beans.

By: NYbob

I had never heard of deer likeing oranges, this winter I threw a few out that had been sitting to long, there was snow on the ground and 2 does were out in the front of the house, so I threw the oranges in their direction, within minutes they had peeled and eaten all 3 of them including the peels, I called to my wife to look and she could not believe the one deer with about 20 inches of orange peel hanging out of his mouth!

By: Fuzzy

yes, with relish (actually they don't like relish)

By: Olink

It all depends on where you are and how much other food is available to the deer. I've never had to fence off any of the nightshade plants (tomatoes and potatoes), peppers, or squash/cucumbers. But others claim that deer devour those plants.

Date:05-Jul-14

Radish deer will typically hit some early in the midwest then become hot at the end of January and february.

Carrot....HELL YEAH, but they are finicky as heck to grow and i'm about to give up on them as a part of my recommended mixes. Putting them in straight might be another story though.

Green beans, yep and a friend who's sells wildlife seed has it in one of his new mixes and for good reason.

Romaine lettuce yes...spinich so so but they will prefer things sweeter like swiss chard.

Peppers..., if you can get them to eat them, then you also will get some other nutrition benefits. It's an ingredient that has pros and cons. Peppers thin the deer's blood out and that has some benefits.

Date:05-Jul-14

Iknow you did not include pumpkins on your list, but it took only the second year for my deer to love 'em. Last year they even ate the leaves and stalks!

This year I've got the fence working., but had one doe jump in so far. She apparently jumped both courses of fence and then jumped out again. Yesterday I coated the hot wire with peanut butter so we'll see what is the effect.

I did plant some large squash mixed in with a field Eagle brand soybeans. Only problem here is I'm a little afraid to spray roundup on the beans for fear of killing the squash plants. I may have to just be kinda selective on the spraying and only spray on a very still type day.

Date:06-Jul-14

pumpkins can help worm deer..... yes i planted pumpkins for deer the last couple years.

Date:07-Jul-14

They will eat them all. Maybe they won't eat a cucumber or squash readily but will definitely eat the plants that produce them. One day you will be so pleased to see all the blossoms your cucumbers have and the next day be pissed that the deer ate every one - every one! I have had them eat potato and tomato plants, the tops of any root plant (radish/carrot/beet). Electric fence for me. Spend $75 about 15 years ago and never had an issue yet.

Date:07-Jul-14

Deer will try almost anything, and if hungry will eat virtually anything that is not seriously poisonous. The topper for me is them chowing on rhubard leaves. Supposed to be poisonous but the deed didn't get the memo, and haven't seen a dead one yet. I've had experts tell me that they key in on new growth, which pretty much makes annuals fair game.

By: Fuzzy
Date:09-Jul-14

williamtell, whitetail deer eat many plants which are poisonous to humans

I planted 42 varieties of hard wood and it was funny to watch the deer smell the leaves before taking a bite.they were running all. Over the 51 acres smelling and tasting. Some trees are shrubs now from all the browsing.

Deer have actually been documented eating fish on the shore of an island in Lake Superior.

I remember a video clip where a young buck was eating clover and a baby fledgling bird fell near him. He bit it and swallowed the entire bird. Probably doesn't happen too often.

Date:10-Jul-14

when hungry they will eat anything. The burn a lot of calories so they need to take a lot in. In winter Ive seen them eat things a billy goat would pass up.

However I think it all depends on what they have a taste for and whats available to eat. Right now I have cow peas out and I thought they wouldnt last a week Deer havent touched them?

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.